Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Day 6

Today's opener reviews proportions and percents and integer operations, and also gives them a more open-ended estimation problem.





As they work on the opener I'll walk around and ask each group if they had any questions about how the online pre-assessment worked last night (and I'll also talk briefly about it after we finish the openers as a class).

Today's lesson is designed to solidify their understandings of ratios, proportions and percents. We'll start with a quick skill review, with students working in groups and then coming up and explaining their work at the board (or possibly on their group-sized whiteboards, I'm not sure which yet).


Then we'll look at an example with the chemical formula for TNT and one with the stock market. (Again, note that I'm displaying the entire slide for you, but I would use the window shade function to reveal only parts at a time.)
Then, thanks to Dan Meyer, we'll watch about a minute of The Bone Collector and then I'll turn them loose (with printouts of the footprint/dollar bill and rulers handy - bottom image is hidden until we discuss it).


Their homework will be to prepare for the Solving Proportions and Percents Assessment that they will take first thing tomorrow. They can do that however they'd like: review the video, review their notes, review everything that's been posted to the blog, review the online pre-assessment, do some practice problems online or from the textbook, work with a friend/parent/sibling, etc., as much or as little as they think they need.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I like the activity - it's applied (contextual) and concrete. I also like estimation activities because often we focus too much on precision in maths and forget that in real day-to-day life, estimation is used more.

    If you're ever looking for another fun activity with ratios and proportions - you might like to read about my Vitruvian Man lesson. I can tell you that planning that lesson was as much fun as delivering it. I also suggest you incorporate the suggestion in the comments to check out super-human proportions. Fun!

    ReplyDelete